Friday, May 30, 2008

Baby Steps


Hudson and Jen recently spent two weeks in Mississippi. Our reason was that my brothers concocted a plan to graduate college and high school two weeks apart (even though they are 6 years apart) just to spend more time with my son. I stayed the first week, but came back the second week to work on our Youth Sunday festivities. I feel like its such a blessing and answer to prayer that my wife and and parents/brothers enjoy spending that much time together. But that's a side note to this post, while there my mom had a walker toy for Hudson where he walks around in a circle while playing with toys on a tray in front of him.


On our return, Jen and I have found that Hudson is no longer content sitting and playing with a toy (my favorite stage thus far as a parent), instead he now wants to walk around as he holds our hands. Thus begins the toddler stage and his long quest for mobility and independence. Whether its baby steps, even fifteen year olds and cars are an illustration of kids and their great desire for independence. As a parent its exciting to see Hudson grow, but something within me wants to protect him, keep him from going too fast or falling too hard. How do I as his father give him freedom, yet protect him from hurtful situations? That's probably a question Jen and I will ask thousands of times over the next few years. I want Hudson to grow and become independent. I can't wait for him to be the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers, but at the same time I like him dependent on Jen and I. I realize there will be plenty of time with him at home while he still looks to Jen and I for protection and provision. But that time will go by just as quickly as the last eight months have progressed, I just wish they didn't grow so fast! It's already started because it all goes back to baby steps, so thanks Mom, thanks a lot...



To live is Christ,
Jay

No comments: