Monday, November 23, 2009

My Top 10 of 2009

It may have been last year or the year before, but I began making a top 10 list of things I am thankful for over the past year around Thanksgiving. Last year I encouraged our students to do the same thing at our Sunday night Bible study with the High Schoolers. I think its absolutely essential for us if we'd like to truly celebrate Thanksgiving properly to not only think about what we're thankful for, but also to write it down to look over for years to come. From year to year some will stay the same, but others will be unique to that specific year.

Here is my list for 2009;

Honorable mentions- The Office (I'll admit its my favorite show and I love watching re-runs of the show from previous seasons); Sunday night Bible Studies (We have a terrific group of high school students and love this time with them on Sunday nights); a new car (thanks to Cash for Clunkers!); and OU's football schedule (talking trash to Sooner in-law's:).

#10-Good Books & a blanket. Most nights Hudson goes down about 8:30, from then until 10:30 Jen and I are able to talk, watch television or what not. About 10:30 Jen goes to bed and I have from then until about midnight to get out a book and curl up in a blanket and read. This past year I've read the Works of the Early Church Fathers, portions of Calvin's Institutes, Luther's Bondage of the Will and currently I am reading a biography of D.L. Moody. I love this time to read!

#9-Niece and Nephews. Hudson has four cousins, all on Jen's side. There's Ally (4), Spencer(2), Jackson(nearly 1), and Zachary (newborn). Our get togethers with the cousins are always exciting and fun not only for Hudson, but also for the grown ups as well. The highlighted get together's for me were the Easter Egg hunt at Countryside and the fall carnival held at Pa & Gigi's.

#8-Preaching Opportunities. My primary responsibilities at Countryside are to minister and disciple our students and support the parents of our students as they raise their kids. At the same time I also am responsible to fill the pulpit for JB when he is out of town. I love the opportunity to preach and fill the Lord is leading me into this type of ministry in the future. I've filled in for JB in 2009 five times already and will do so again in December.

#7-Mission Trip to Galveston. 2009 was supposed to be the summer I took our students to Mexico. The trip was planned, with a few months to go for support raising and preparation. Then the Secretary of State urged Americans to stay clear of the border, then swine flue, and we had to cancel our trip. The rest was a God thing where the details all came together so that we were able to take our students to Galveston to rebuild homes destroyed from Hurricane Ike. Our students did such a great job of working hard, having a great attitude, and adapting to the changing plans. It was a great trip that brought unity to our high school group.

#6-Church Family. I have been at Countryside for eight years, I'm very grateful for the time I've been there and the relationships I have built in that time. I think specifically this year I'm so grateful for all those who minister to Jen, Hudson, and I. For the nursery workers, Wednesday night meal team workers, for those families who volunteer to watch Hudson so Jen and I can have a date night. We love our church, the part we play in it, and those who minister for us week in and week out.

#5-Ordination. I was ordained in February and my favorite part of the whole experience had to be the council. It was made up of the staff and elders of Countryside along with a former pastor now retired. It was so much fun sitting around with these men whom I admire and respect and talking about theology, but also about the practical implications of our theology. At the beginning of our morning I remember thinking to myself, "Enjoy this time," and I certainly did.

#4-Vacation in Florida. The last week of June we went to Destin for a week on the beach with my parents, brothers, and grandmother. It was a terrific vacation and a relaxing time for Jen and I to get away with family. We enjoyed the visit with my family and the beach of course. Hudson wasn't sure what to think about it at first, but after a few days we found the perfect spot that he loved.

#3- Grace in Silence. Earlier this year Jen and I found out that we had miscarried. She was 20 weeks and we had to go through labor. The experience was heart-breaking. I'll never understand God's purpose behind us losing Eliot but am thankful that in the midst of it His grace was sufficient. In our weakness, He provided strength. 

#2-Hudson. Watching him grow to become a little boy has been a treat.  He's intelligent, funny, handsome, and growing all too quickly.  He is a blessing that I daily thank God for.

#1- Jen. We celebrated our sixth anniversary this year.  We certainly crossed the newly wed threshold a few years ago.  My love and admiration for Jen has grown as I see her poise and patience with Hudson.  She is such a wonderful mother to him.  She also faithfully serves alongside me, she's my biggest asset and always provides me with feedback when I teach or preach.  The provision and care that she uses with our home and our finances is a blessing to me 


Well that's the list for 2009.  I have so much to be thankful for.  

Happy Thanksgiving,


No comments: