Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shadowing-Part 2

  Yesterday while mowing my grass,  I noticed once again Hudson watching my every move and trying to follow it.  It was pretty comical really.  If I put on sunglasses, he did.  If I pushed the mower with one hand, he pushed it with one hand.  Everything I did he sought to emulate.  

I think one of the most difficult things about leading, whether that's in the home or the church is that people are not just going to seek to do what you say, and the good example you try to set.  They also are going to take note of those traits that you don't like about yourself.  If your sarcastic, don't ask where they got it from.   Often times their behavior can be a reflection of yours; good and bad.  There are always exceptions, but the longer I've been in ministry the more I've had to look at things that may frustrate me about our students and realize that I may be the problem.  If they aren't reaching out to to their friends and seeing the importance of evangelism, is it possibly because I am not emphasizing evangelism in my own life?  

I think its interesting that sometimes the way the Lord chooses to teach us may be by showing us another person's shortcomings.  Its a lot easier to see errors and sins in another.  The challenge that we as followers of Christ face is to see that and reflect if we are contributing to that problem by doing the same in our own life.  Leading isn't easy, it has a host of challenges that come with it, but I love the way the Lord constantly uses those I minister to in the home and at the church to refine me...

No comments: