Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Family Resemblance


With the birth of a new baby there typically are a number of different questions that are always asked. For example, the "are you getting any sleep?" seems to be a favorite right now (And to answer that question, Athan is sleeping really well right now. I'm tempted to say he may be a better sleeper than Hudson was). The second topic that always seems to come up is the "who does he look like?" conversation. Its always fun to watch grandparents, uncles, and aunts stare at a child and discuss whether that nose was Grandpa Tingle's or a Harrison nose. Each part of their little faces is diagnosed and discussed. During the conversation last week regarding Athan, my Dad in a way that only he could, just stated that he thought Athan looked just like him when he was a baby. He even pulled out old baby pictures of himself to bolster his argument!

No doubt Athan will have features that are distinctly his own, but as I've seen with Hudson he will look like Jen at certain moments, or play like me at others. Their personality, temperment, and look resemble their family.

As I listened to that conversation in the hospital it made me think how much joy I get when I have someone tell me that Hudson looks like me or acts like me. I think we as parents enjoy seeing that resemblance in our own children (at least when its a positive trait!). It also made me reflect on whether I resemble my Heavenly Father in my interactions or words to others.

As Christians, the Bible tells us that we are adopted sons and daughters of God (Romans 8). We are born again when we come to faith in Christ and this new birth is a birth into the family of God (John 3). We are to look to the Lord as our Father, even calling Him "Abba". We are part of the family of God, and are to view fellow believers not only as partners in ministry, but as spiritual brothers and sisters (1 Timothy 5).

As God's child there should be some family resemblance. John says in his first epistle, "By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, or the one who does not love his brother." John is arguing that God's children are going to love their brothers and sisters, they are going to practice righteousness. This doesn't mean I will always behave in those ways just as Hudson or Athan won't always behave as I wished they would. Just because they don't behave as I desire them to wouldn't mean they would forfeit their sonship. What it does mean is that God's children, living in God's Spirit reflect God's character.

So do I resemble my Heavenly Father by serving selflessly as Christ did, or are my own selfish interests secretly at heart? When others see my interactions with a bad cashier at a store, do they see love and compassion conveyed? In many respects, just as Athan has a hair line that looks just like mine, so our character should reflect that of our Heavenly Father.

I can think of nothing our Father would desire more, than for His children to live in the power of the Holy Spirit, seeking to t reveal their family resemblance with the Maker and Creator of all that exists. By doing so not only do we bring our Father joy, but we fulfill the responsibility He has given to us, to testify to others of His goodness and grace...

No comments: