Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Unsung Heroes

Despite where you might look one finds within our culture that we are trained to request, seek, and demand the attention of others.  It's everywhere, it's why football stars come up with touchdown celebrations that scream, "Look at me!"  It's why celebrities try and one up one another on the red carpet or the awards shows.  It's why political discourse has grinded to a halt and personal attacks and one-line zingers have become the norm among political leaders.  It is the result of the idol of approval  taking over and controlling the affection of one's heart.  It certainly is an idol that many of us likely struggle, but that is for another day.

But rather than writing a post about the discouragement we must all feel as we look around and see a society that molds us into being self-absorbed as we seek the praise, approval and eyes of others, too often we miss the incredible reality that behind every star or touchdown dance, there are those whose job was to block so that he had the chance.  Behind every celebrity making a fool of themselves on stage at an awards show is a bass player who is faithfully playing his chords with no acclaim.  Behind every politician that takes the opportunity to use his platform to blast another is an aid who is researching and reading the actual law and sharing advice with the politician that would best benefit his constituents.  These are somewhat thankless jobs, the unseen heroes.

For whatever reason these have always held a soft spot in my heart.  My best friends in high school were not the diva wide receivers, but our offensive linemen.  They were critical to any success that I or others had, but seldom were recognized outside of our locker room.  In young adulthood I got to know some guys who had played in bands as a bassist or drummer.  I appreciated so much their perseverance and the incredible investment that their talent and vision had on the music that was produced, yet the mic was rarely given to them in an interview.  In each case their investment and presence was absolutely essential yet rarely noticed or appreciated as much as they deserved.

As I have had opportunities to lead in local churches, my eye is regularly looking for those who are serving, leading, and investing but are rarely noticed.  Those who are the unseen heroes in a church.  The list could be plenty long.  I think of those who serve faithfully in children's ministry.  My in-law's have taught Sunday School at their church for early elementary kids for over twenty years.  They are investing week to week with kids and as faithful as they come.  They have been an incredible example to me of faithfulness and endurance in ministry.  I think of those custodians who keep the place in order and clean.  At the church where I work now, I love driving up to see a red pickup truck as Calvin is already at work.  That building is in order and he is making sure that things are ready for the activities of the day.  I can't imagine the place without him!  I think of those who serve in positions of leadership on a deacon/elder board.  The decisions that they are forced to wrestle and pray over are immense and their Godly wisdom and discernment not only for Scripture but for the signs of the time are necessary for the sheep in that local congregation.  I've been so grateful for the leaders at both churches where I've served.  Their faithfulness has left a mark in my life and always been a request I've prayed, that they would continue to fight the good fight.

The list could and should go on, but here are three ways that I'm trying to express my appreciation for unsung heroes near me;

  1. Expressing my thanks in person.  It certainly is not a radical idea, but just take a moment to tell them personally how much I appreciate them and their service.  I want them to know that I see and am grateful for their investment.
  2. Express my thanks by card & gift.  Ever since Jen and I had kids we tried to give gifts to our boys' Sunday School teachers.  We believe strongly in their impact and want them to know how much they mean to us.  It usually is a hand written card and some pastry around Christmas or a craft and gift card at the end of the year, but we simply want them to know their investment is noticed and worth it in our eyes.
  3. Imitation.  They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.  In my case that means seeking out jobs that nobody notices and doing them.  I used to request that I get to clean the Youth House because I wanted a job that went unseen.  I want to be faithful even if nobody is approving or saying good job.  In some ways it sows humility that I need in my heart and my hope is that it will reap selflessness in my life as well.
 


No comments: