Thursday, August 20, 2009

Older Brother

As the oldest brother in my family I can remember countless times where Mom & Dad would sit me down and talk to me about the importance of setting a good example for my younger brothers. These little "chats" would take place sometimes after I had messed up and set a poor example for my two younger brothers, or sometimes they would take place at relative highs, where my parents were proud of the example I was setting for David and Stephen. Its sometimes interesting to think what Jesus' childhood would have been like. If Joseph and Mary would have had these talks with Him as He set a perfect example, or sat down His siblings and said "Why couldn't you be more like Jesus."! Similarly we are all a part of one family in Christ. God the Father is over this household, with Jesus as the firstborn and we as adopted sons and daughters in Christ are called to follow His example as members of the household and family of God.

What an incredible thing to consider that for all who have come to faith in Christ, God has adopted them into His family, as children and heirs. Romans 8:16, 17 says, "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him." The Sonship of Jesus has nothing to do with His origin, for Christ has always been God, from all time He, the Father, and the Spirit have been One. Instead, Christ's sonship refers to the relationship that He and the Father share. As children and fellow-heirs with Christ, to a certain extent we thus look to Him as the eldest son in the family. As the firstborn (as Paul calls Him in Colossians 1), He has set the example that all those in the family are to follow.


A good example of this and one I have been considering recently is found in Philippians 2 where Paul exhorts his readers to "regard one another as more important than yourself," and then illustrates this point by turning to the example of Christ who regarded us and our interests as more important than His own. Christ has provided the example for us to follow, His humility in leaving heaven, becoming a man, and dying a death He didn't deserve is one that we are called to imitate with one another. But Christ has not only provided the example, He also provides the ability to be humble, be gracious, to love our neighbor as He sent the Spirit to indwell and empower us (see John 16).

I am undeserving of such grace and I prove it each day as I consistently fall short of His example. That's what makes adoption so special, that God has grafted me into His family not because He liked my sense of humor, or because I could catch a football, but simply because of His grace in Christ. Such grace motivates me to follow the example of our Lord Jesus, and hopefully motivates you to do the same...

No comments: