Wednesday, August 5, 2009

the Rodeo

Earlier today I closed another chapter in my life by trading in my 1997 Isuzu Rodeo for a new Chevy Cobalt. I loved that Rodeo and had owned it for nearly ten years. It was a wonderful car that I've shared many memories in and with. I learned to drive a standard in it soon after I graduated high school (thanks Mom), took it on my first youth ski trip to Durango (it hardly made it up the mountain!) and took it to Shawnee to spend time with Jen while we were in college. It was my car when I got married, graduated college, and had Hudson. I've taken it to Dallas for seminary classes and on youth events.

The car wasn't anything special, it was a 4 cylinder 5-speed with no power locks, no power windows. It had 151,000 miles on it and had been in the shop over the last few years numerous times. I was genuinely thankful for it. God had graciously provided it as my parents bought it for me when I graduated high school and I really didn't want anything else. For me it serves as a wonderful reminder not to focus on what I don't have, but to be content with what God has blessed me with. The government may call it a clunker, but to me that Rodeo was a companion!

No comments: