Friday, January 22, 2010

All you need is love...


Years ago, while watching Everybody Loves Raymond regularly, I remember seeing an episode where Debra borrowed a recipe from Marie of one of Raymond's favor dishes. Debra kept getting upset because it didn't taste the same and she couldn't figure out why. Marie's response was that she cooked with love, and that Debra was missing that very key ingredient! (If I remember correctly, Marie had actually switched the labels on one of the seasonings) Certainly I have heard the expression that you must cook with love, but never did I think that it was Scriptural!

Recently, as I read through Proverbs I noticed 15:17 where it says, "Better is a dish of vegetables where love is, Than a fatted ox served with hatred." Now the author's intention seems to go back to v.16 where his point is on contentment. He is trying to show that having a little can be better than having a treasure if trouble comes with the treasure. In the same way in v.17, the author is showing that a small meal of vegetables made and served with love is much better than a home where there is a plethora of food but hatred.

As a former vegetarian my wife probably would have switched the phrases in v.17! In thinking about the verse I am blessed to come home to a place where love is ever present. My wife is the reason for that. I am blessed to say she makes our home one of joy, love, and contentment. She loves Hudson and I as she tirelessly cooks, organizes and spoils us! Thank you Jen for the love in which you live each day, even if you are serving us boys broccoli!


1 comment:

Jen said...

So I read this for the first time a few weeks ago. How did I miss it??? Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm blessed to get to care for you boys!