Tuesday, January 4, 2011

26 Goals for 2011

I thought I'd start this year off right with setting 26 goals for the new year. As opposed to setting one big resolution that you either complete or fail, for example losing weight, I'm going to try a new philosophy of having 26 goals for the new year. With these numbers I should average accomplishing one every two weeks which really isn't too bad. That way at the end of the year its not an all or nothing, pass or fail situation, but rather its something where I can focus on the one's I did accomplish and re-think the one's I set that I failed to complete. Some are serious, some are not so much, some focus on my family, while others are individual goals. So here it is...

26. Teach Athan to say Momma before Daddy. The thinking here is this should earn me some points with Jen as what Dad selflessly teaches Momma before Daddy to his son:)
25. Survive another Lock-in. I'm getting older and get real grumpy after 3AM. Perhaps I should change this to "Have all the kids survive me during another lock-in".
24. Get my internet changed so I can get ESPN3. The cable company no longer gives us ESPN in black and white for free so I'm forced to explore other options.
23. Teach Matt Anson to ski well enough to not be a danger to himself or those around him. He's a great kid who has never skied before and I'm either going to teach him or die trying. Not really, but I love a good challenge on the slopes!
22. Give up Coke cold turkey for Lent. Harder than it sounds, did you see my bio?
21. Help Athan learn to walk before he turns 1 year. A sure sign of athletic greatness in his future.
20. Make an A in two of the three Greek classes I'll take this year. Easily the most difficult, perhaps impossible. I showed my Spanish 2 teacher though...
19. Convince Jen to lead us in a hymn at dinner regularly. Something we've done inconsistently and have agreed we should do more. The great part is Hudson loves to sing these old hymns with us.
18. Play a round of golf at Old Waverly with my dad and brothers. Dad can get us on no trouble, its just an issue of getting down there with my clubs at the same time that my brothers are there...
17. Get Athan to sleep through the night regularly. So very close. Sigh..
16. See a Water Buffalo in person.
15. Rid the yard of those pesky moles.
14. Convince Jen to get rid of her Dell and get a Mac for our home computer. Maybe the easiest on the list all I have to do is ask her to use the Dell daily and it will do the convincing with its stalling out and faulty operating system.
13. Memorize the book of Philemon. Its a great letter and it would be nice to knock out a whole book of the Bible "Book of Eli" style.
12. Tile something. Its my new favorite hobby that combines temptation to cuss and break something halfway through with a great amount of pride at the end of the job!
11. Take Jen to the Warren Theatre in Moore for a movie of her choice. I've got to kick up my "husband taking the reigns" on date night now that I have two kids and I've heard this is a really cool place to go.
10. Finish the Youth Ministry Curriculum at Countryside. So close...
9. Daily do 200 pushups. Its my first and only step at a regular workout.
8. See Cars 2 in the theatre with Hudson. Comes out in June.
7. Teach Job 1-2 in some capacity. Perhaps my favorite book in the Bible and a place we rarely here preached from.
6. Read Calvin's Institutes. I've read portions now its time to connect all of the dots and conquer that beast.
5. See the Packers play in person. They do play in Kansas City and if that didn't work I would count a preseason game.
4. Build up my Kindle Library. Shouldn't be difficult, most of the books I want are by dead guys which means I can get them extremely cheap. We're talking under $5 for everything Jonathan Edwards ever wrote.
3. Get a big idea for where certain parables and main passages are in the Gospel of Luke. I feel like I have much of the other three gospels down. For example if you asked me where Jesus washed the disciples feet, or fed the 5,000 in the Gospel of John, or what takes place in Matthew 20 or Mark 10 I could easily tell you with some level of comfort and authority. Luke I still need to think through...
2. Convince Hudson to have a Green Bay Packers Birthday party. The theory is that if I can convince him then he can work on his Mom.
1. Blog 52 times. Once a week shouldn't be too difficult, and I've already got one down, now only 51 to go!

No comments: