Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Origin of Green Bay Packer Fandom and Super Bowl Pick

I'm often asked about my love for the Green Bay Packers and I'll admit it is strange that someone whose only once been north of Missouri has such an obsession with a team from Wisconsin. I've done some reflecting and here's the story;

As a kid on the playground I was always a receiver when we played football. I enjoyed catching the ball, particularly after I ran passed someone and was able to score a touchdown. Sterling Sharpe (pictured on the right) was the receiver I loved. He was big, fast, and had terrific hands. It just so happened that he played for the Green Bay Packers. As I watched them I found myself not just cheering for Sharpe, but cheering for the team. Guys like Reggie White, who was an ordained minister and a hall of famer with Green Bay, Robert Brooks, who I met in person at an SEC legends dinner for my Dad, and of course Brett Favre won me over to the "Cheeseheads" permanently. In 6th Grade I got the Green Bay starter jacket which sealed the deal, I was a Packers' fan for life. In my seventeen years of rooting for the Packers I have bought more Packers gear than I'd care to admit, seen them play twice in person, and will now see them play in the Super Bowl for the third time (which seems like a lot when you consider that teams with great history like the Vikings haven't played in one since the seventies or the Lions ever).

The Packers give me no reason not to like them. They have no pre-madonna owner, but instead are publicly owned. They don't spend frivolously, but are good with money almost to the point of being frugal. They are located in a town around the size of Tulsa, rather than a Metropolis like New York or L.A. For all intents and purposes they would make more since in the Arena League than in the NFL. Even the way they handled the Favre situation left me, a boy who idolized Favre, siding with the team rather than the hero.

So much in our lives change. Our taste in music, vehicle we drive, even fashion sense change over the course of time. Its fun to have things that continue from childhood through adolescence and into adulthood. That's the thing that makes me even more passionate about my love for the Packers now as an adult, because it reminds me of my childhood. It reminds me of those Junior High mornings waiting outside the school with my jacket and stocking cap, it reminds me of that high school night when they won the Super Bowl. Its also something I have loved sharing with others. That starter jacket wasn't tossed in the dump, but was given to my favorite AWANA kid who was also a Packers fan. He and I bonded over memorizing Scripture and cheering for the Packers. When given two tickets to a Cowboys-Packers game a few years ago I chose to take one of our students, a die hard Packers fan too. Now as a father its fun to watch the Packers with Hudson. I think I could even get Jen to wear Packers gear if I caught her on a good day!

Now for my Super Bowl Pick;
Keep in mind this is obviously biased. I think we are going to see a great game, not just because the teams are evenly matched, played a close game last year, and have solid defenses, but because both have a tendency to play to their competition. Both should have won their Championship games going away but instead made them much closer than they should have been.

As a Packers fan, I have felt that all playoffs long the defense has not gotten the publicity they deserve. Everyone wants to talk about Rogers, but the D has carried the team all year. I can't help but feel positive that their beat up o-line will struggle to run the ball or protect the passer and as a result Big Ben will seek to make too many plays against an experienced and aggressive Packers secondary. That should create turnovers.

On the other side of the ball the Steelers defense is scary good. They rush the passer, stop the run, and create turnovers like crazy. Two things make me feel better about this matchup; first, its in a dome on turf and the Packers offense is very quick. Green Bay will play with 3-4 receivers and pick on that 3rd and 4th corner. Second, the Patriots spread the Steelers out earlier in the year and torched them. Now Rodgers is no Brady, but neither are the Patriots receivers in the same category as the Packers receivers. If the offense can score some points early I'll feel very good.

I'm nervous because of the Steelers experience in big games and ability to create turnovers. But, if the Packers don't turn the ball over and can pressure Big Ben I think they win.

Final Score: 24-13 Go Pack Go

No comments: